Monday, November 21, 2016

Week 4!!!

Hello from Chicago!!!

HOLY COW it doesn't even feel real!! When they say that a mission is the hardest thing you will ever do in your whole life, they weren't kidding. It's beat me up just a little bit that's for sure! However because it's so hard, I get to grow that much more and be what my Heavenly Father needs me to be to help his Chicago kids come closer to Christ and I've already had a few crazy experiences!
First of all, leaving the MTC was the worst thing ever... I can't believe I was even there!... Like in my head I'm still wondering if the MTC is going to be scary. BUT IT WAS THE BEST THING EVER! I was able to learn so much and I made so many friends who were right there with me, doing the same thing I was, getting ready for the best two years. My plane left Monday morning at 4:20 and I didn't sleep at all that night. Saying bye to the district was super hard and I bawled my eyes out as I packed... It got to be 4:00 am and I did my final weigh in with my bags to make sure they weren't over and went down to check out at the travel desk. My comp and one of the Sisters next door got up with me and helped me get everything down there... then I had to say bye to them which hurt too. I checked everything in and got on a dark bus full of missionaries headed to the airport. During this time I was also very sick... IDK what it is but the MTC is a sicky lab where everyone gets everyone's sickness... I had an ear infection in both ears, couldn't really hear... I couldn't talk because it hurt my throat too bad and I had a bad cough that wouldn't go away... the sleep didn't help either, but I was so nervous that I didn't even notice how bad it all was until I got on the plane! When we got to the airport I got to talk to my family and that was THE BEST. Fam, I'm sorry if I was talking super fast... I just wanted to tell you everything! It was so good to hear their voices though; I MISS YOU ALL SO MUCH. Everyone: give your families an extra tight hug... I wish I could give one to mine! After the phone call I got on the plane... it was THE COOLEST THING EVER. I got nervous again as we were taking off though and found that I was asking myself "WHY AM I DOING THIS." I said about 14 hundred times that it was "because I love my Father in Heaven", and I had to trust that. After the plane ride we landed and I got off and into the airport where EVERYTHING was blue and red Cubs stuff! I met my mission Pres. and his Wife... I told her that I needed to get to a doctor as soon as I could and she let me know that she would take me as soon as she could find the closest one. We all took pictures and headed to the mission home. A HOME IS A HOME. I was so grateful to be in a real one instead of a bunk dorm! It's beautiful in there! We had a big meeting with everyone on general guidelines and then I was taken to the doctor... doctor? It was like this ghetto urgent care center that was playing Chinese music... The doctor gave me Amoxicillin for my ears and this spray for my stuffiness... (I couldn't breathe)... We got the medication and went home to THE BEST PIZZA I HAVE EVER HAD.  It's real. You all need to come to Chicago and find out! I had an interview with Pres. Griffin and I love him so much. He is so willing to help in every way that he can, he already knew as much as he could about me and had a real care for me. 
Tuesday we went to a meeting and everyone who was already there was getting transferred so they could train the new greenies. My comp. is Sister Peterson and she is AWESOME. She is always there to support me and she knows what it's like to be a new missionary and all the emotions that come with it. She is from Alpine Utah and loves skiing! She is also very clean (PRAISE). We have had some awesome experiences this week!! I am kinda short on time but here are a few. We have dinner appointments like CRAZY. The Ward here is so willing to have us in their homes! We went into one where they introduced us to "Green River" which is like the most ancient soda ever... It's lime, and a Chicago original, and they sent a bottle home with us! It's so good. Other than dinner appointments, I have been making lots of chicken and rice... That's most of what I eat out here. When we shop we hit the produce aisle and get chicken and that's about it! We have a nice car, and I am blessed with a nice apartment too!! It's actually really cute... The inside is like brick and they have a little staircase the goes all the way up to the third floor (where we live). We have a living room, bathroom, kitchen and bedroom and it's been home!
In the mornings we work out, get ready, study individually, then comp, then we hit the road and knock doors, make phone calls, make stop by's.. etc. KNOCKING DOORS IS SCARY. I HAVE DECIDED. The first door I knocked the lady got really annoyed and told me that "now is just not a good time in my life to talk about all of this" and she wanted us to leave... my first instinct is to just get out ASAP because i hate being a pain and causing problems.. but my comp has told me that if you just stay a second longer than you want to, that's when miracles happen. So that's something I have been practicing... meeting new people at their door is really uncomfortable for me but I'm working on it! HOWEVER. I have met some amazing people here!!!! We have an investigator who is Laotian? (Not sure how to spell it) and she can't speak English very well... only a little. She understands more than she can speak though! We went in her home and she was telling us about her background and trying to be a good person... she said she didn't like all the drinking and parties and how it made people crazy and "fight fight fight. Be angry" She tries to tell us how bad she wants to know God and be a good person “I take care mom. I watch for her. My arm hurt so bad, but I work work work work." she continued to tell us her story and her sweet spirit brought me to tears. Our lessons are very simple, talking about God and praying for comfort and forgiveness. Because of the language barrier that about as much as we can get to her but because the spirit was there so strong, she can feel it. She talked about how she likes to feel "safe, peace... no war no hurt" and we talked about how she can feel peace in the temple and showed her a video. AGH I LOVE HER SO MUCH IT'S CRAZY!!!!!!! She lives with her mom and Uncle and sister... She goes through the ringer but still just "work work work" "pray for be strong." I walked out of her house crying. We also have another investigator named A* and got him on date Saturday night to be BAPTIZED!!!! The Date we have for him is Jan 7th, and we know he can make it if it's what our heavenly father wants!! He's a hard working black guy who has THE BIGGEST heart. He used to be 400 plus pounds, then his mom died and it hurt him so much, so he lost 300 pounds and is this tiny little man now. He has a drive like nothing I have ever seen. He broke his leg and still goes to work every day because if he doesn't then they send him home and he doesn't make the money. So he limps around but doesn't complain for fear that they will send him home early. He wants to change his life, he says he's "sick of bein at the bottom," and wants hope. He was so excited to be baptized "a new start for a new year!" is what he said. He is really spotty with appointments, so we hope to be able to get him to church and help him progress so he CAN be baptized! We are excited about him though!! We walk out of his house and he always says "God be blessin' us all!" I love him too.
Yesterday I spoke in sacrament and the ward is so awesome. I spoke about being thankful and how it can be an ATTITUDE instead of an action. I was able to meet all the members, they are always wanting to schedule a dinner appt. with us and are so willing to help us from food to coming with us to lessons, they are all about it. We have a 17 year old boy named I* who is a recent convert and are helping him be confident enough to get the priesthood. He is a little nervous about passing the sacrament, he doesn't have any church clothes so he comes in jeans and a sweatshirt but Bro. Webb who is in charge of a huge mall here is getting him a SUIT!! We are excited about it!  So I was able to meet him yesterday and I looked over and our Laotian sister WAS THERE!! I was so excited I rushed over and gave her a huge hug and she got all excited and beamed the sweetest smile ever. 

This last week we were able to have service at a food pantry where we loaded up boxes and crates and organized them into groups so they could be taken to those in need. It was so fun to be there with all the missionaries!! Speaking of which... I've been able to see ELDER JULANDER!!!!!!!!! It was so nice to see a familiar face! He was saying that he was so worried I was going to end up in some apartment he had to go in and clean because elders had been living there for years and it was TERRIBLE. He was like "I was praying you wouldn't end up in there!" we have been able to serve one of the members of the ward as well, help her clean her house and pack some boxes into different rooms. She is a mom of 3, all little, new house, very sick and breastfeeding and was in tears she was so grateful we came to help her out. We also were able to meet in the bishop's home and talk to his family and go over the plan of salvation... It was a neat experience!
I'm about out of time, but I LOVE THE GOSPEL. This work is hard, but I know it's all worth it and that Heavenly Father blesses us for our hard work!! FAMILIES CAN BE FOREVER. It's something that many people don't know, and I'm learning that more and more everyday. I am so blessed to know and to have been born into this knowledge! I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!! Thank you for all the pictures and e mails, I LOVE getting those!!!!
I CHALLENGE you all to listen to more church music... I never realized how much of an impact it has on our thoughts but listening to all sorts of remakes and covers of hymns is the best! There are good ones out there. Search it on the Spotify. :) Also, look at the new video about service that comes out this Friday on LDS.org!! It’s the LIGHT THE WORLD video, and it's an awesome thing for Christmas!

LOVE AND MISS YOU SO MUCH,
xoxo,
      Sister Bair


P.S. Sorry this e-mail might be everywhere, so much has happened and I wanted to tell as much as I could!!




No comments:

Post a Comment