The
last few weeks have been pretty tough as far as investigators and
finding people to teach. If I'm being honest I was a little frustrated
and confused as to what I was doing wrong and why no one wanted to know
more and come closer to Jesus Christ... because everyone's WAANNNTTTS
to, they just might not know it yet! But this last week I was able to
look back on the last almost six months and realize what a blessing
Elgin has been for me and how it has been full of experiences that have
changed my life. Transfers aren't for a couple more weeks, (May 2nd) but for whatever reason it all hit me this week and I will always have a special spot in my heart for Elgin, Illinois.
During
these last 4 transfers I have met INCREDIBLE people. When I first got
here I was able to teach Arthur Dorsey, and have been able to teach him
off and on throughout my entire time here. He is incredible. The elders
are now teaching him, as they can have more frequent lessons and as
Arthur is interested in the men of the church holding the priesthood. He
is now on date to be baptized and is now in a better spot where he can
progress. We have been able to witness Heavenly Father work miracles in a
man you would never think would come to church or talk about God, and
now that man, Agustin Martinez, is now baptized and going to the temple
for baptisms regularly until he can go through with Emily and be sealed
in a year. We were able to teach Rubby Lewis and now she has a calling,
visiting teaching route, has already spoke in sacrament, and come out
with the missionaries for lessons and tracting. She and Marcellis are
going through the Salt Lake City temple to be sealed around the time I
will get home. Iram E. is now working toward being worthy to
baptize his daughter in a year, he is attending church, serving as a
home teacher, and meeting with Missionaries and wants to go out with
them now. We have been able to teach a less active named Carlos Cousino
who wants to start taking Sundays off so he can come to church with his
new family, and just had his baby blessed last sacrament meeting. He and
his wife Elisa (who was baptized a year ago) are working to go to the
temple in a year as well. We have been able to help Khamphiane learn
English and she had just absolutely changed my life. She is always
getting better and better and tries to come to church as often as she
can, as she takes care of her mom. There are INCREDIBLE members here. I
have learned so much from every single one. These are just a few of
the things that have changed my life and in wouldn't change anything
that has happened for the world. There are so many more and I wish I
could explain every single person but that is not even possible.
This
last week I wanted to come closer to the Savior than I ever have. I
started doing Russell M. Nelsons challenge and it has been the best
thing ever. I've been going through the TG and studying every scripture
about Christ and I have learned SO much. The spirit has been stronger in
my studies and throughout the day. I challenge you all to start it!
It's been the best thing ever.
We
tracted a lot this week and EVERYONE was having huge yard parties with
Hispanic music blaring and the air literally smelled like tacos. We were
able to find a young father who is interested in coming to church and
learning more, we will be setting something up this week and we are so
excited about it! We did a fun finding activity and walked down
Kimball street with a big sign that says HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS! With
everyone honking, people on sidewalks want to know what we are doing! We
were able to give a certain man a Book of Mormon and a picture of
Christ. We explained what it was and he was so excited. He didn't want
to meet with us but when we drove past later on our way to a teaching
appointment he was already SUPER into it with it close to his face and I
could have cried! It was the best thing I had ever seen!
We
FOUND A WAY TO TEACH JACK AND JENNY! We were able to have a couple of SOLID lessons with them using a matching game we made up to go over the
restoration and they learned so much! The only problem is that they got
in a fight and Jenny took off to her mom's in South Elgin... so now we
are just praying she comes back sometime soon...
We
have been able to work with Kayla B. and we are doing Personal
Progress with her!! It has been so cool to see her progress in
something, she even wrote down a talk for me to read yesterday because
she read it the night before and wanted to share it with me. THIS IS
HUGE PEOPLE!!
I
mentioned before that Emily and Agustin WENT TO THE TEMPLE!! AGUSTIN
LOVED IT. He was describing how strong the spirit was and his testimony
is so sweet. He wants to take his brothers name to the temple and be
baptized for him! He and his family are possibly moving to Mexico to be
with his family more, but the only thing that is stopping Agustin is
the fact that there isn't a church close by where his parents live. He
says he wouldn't give this church up for "NOTHING."
WE
found a new investigator named Luis, he was at the library and we have
been able to have two lessons with him. He keeps ALL the commitments we
give him and asks for more to read between lessons over text. It's
CRAZY! Hopefully he pulls through, we may have to refer him to some
Elders though.....
I
love Easter. I love my Savior. I was thinking last night and if I went
home tomorrow, and could only say one thing I learned on my mission it
would be that I KNOW my Savior LIVES. He died for you and me. He lives
for you and me. He IS the light of the world. I will never forget this
last Christmas #LIGHTTHEWORLD because of the line that says I AM THE
LIGHT OF THE WORLD, YE ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD. We all have the light
of Christ, it's our job to share it with others.
I love you all so much. Ask Heavenly Father what you can do to get to know the Savior better. I promise you will get an answer.
Love, Sister Bair
Pictures are from Easter, random ones from this transfer, and 3/24 P-day.









No comments:
Post a Comment